A few weeks ago I reached out to my fellow bloggers about freelance editor recommendations and, although I got some great names and assistance (thanks!), it made me realize just how little I know about the process of hiring an independent editor to help with the development and revision of a novel. Up till now I have relied on my beta readers and my agent to get feedback during the drafting/revision process prior to submission, so I faced a bit of a dilemma when my agent and I realized that additional changes were still needed to one of my novels but that both of us were now too close to the material to know the best way to proceed. An independent editor seemed the obvious solution – but, after my agent lucked out with her contacts (all of which were over committed already), I said I’d try and identify additional options. It was at this point that I realized just how little I knew about the process…and how hard it was to identify the ‘right fit’ when it came to freelance editorial services. Not only did many seem super expensive, few I initially identified seemed to really align with what I needed. This was where I appreciated getting personal recommendations (again, thanks!) but hiring an editor still seems like a daunting task (especially given the potential fees involved!)…so I thought, why not open it to the TKZ community to see what their experiences have been…:)
So for all of you TKZers who have used independent editors, I’d appreciate honest answers and feedback to the following questions:
- How did you identify your editor? What research did you undertake? Did you access any useful resources beyond getting other author recommendations?
- What key questions did you ask to ascertain that this editor was the right fit for you?
- What was your experience with using the editor you selected? Was their input as valuable as you were hoping? Did the relationship continue for further books?
- How much did the editor charge – ball park figure – if you don’t mind me asking?!
- What feedback or advice would you give to someone seeking an independent editor to help with their novel?
Thanks in anticipation for all your advice and shared experiences (and recommendations too if you have them!).